Wednesday 3 August 2011

Raionbashi & Kutzkelina




I have just spent a pleasant while listening to the latest LP from Raionbashi & Kutzkelina. "Aktion 091216 Berlin" has just been released by UK label Harbinger Sound.
I am always a little cautious about performance art being released as document as it doesn't always work, the sound isn't strong enough sans visuals, so I put the record on with a "plan B" in mind. Not needed. I sat there (in my chair) gripped by what I was hearing, the sound that was unfolding. I knew it was a performance and my brain began to create wonderful visuals as I was listening. I sat there gobsmacked. I have played the 12" repeatedly today, and always in a state of wonder...and the last time in joy.
So what does it sound like?
The record starts with amp hum (I love amp hum) and the sound of snoring, deep sleep snoring and a rattling cow bell. The snoring is accompanied by an accordion. Breath sounds. The snoring and the accordion lasts throughout the piece, varied in the mix. Distant voices. Dogs bark and echo, crystal clear as if they are in the room with me, wolves howl and then there's the sound of "something" hitting the ground running. Sporadic bursts of grating/grinding/harsh noise. By now the piece has me glued. Yodelling, there's someone yodelling, the voice sustained through echo and reverb. Beautiful female voice.
And it is over. It is a mixing desk recording, beautifully clear and is probably the best (one-sided) LP I have heard all year, certainly one of the finer Harbinger Sound releases. The nearest I can equate to the sound is Vagina Dentata Organ, but that doesn't come close...the sound is fresh.

I do not know how many copies have been pressed, but I think RRR in USA, Second Layer in UK and Tochnit Aleph in Germany should be stocking copies, this release is essential.

Pictures:
1: Raionbashi & Kutzkelina LP Cover.
2: Live.
3: Flyer for the performance. (Comes with the LP).

No comments:

Post a Comment